Pages

Thursday, January 08, 2015

The Top 14 of 2014|TheUnanimousMolly

After a year of trying, testing, buying and applying I have narrowed it down to 14* of my favorite things from the last 12 months.

For those of you not keen on what is a monsterously sized written post below there is a video waiting for you right here :)




Let's start with the basics.

Hair: 2014 saw me become a WEN girl. I tend to shy away from products that have this wide flung reputation for being *life changing*.  As backwards as that sounds I have found more often than not products that come the most highly recommended seem to fall short the most often. Call it inflated expectations if you want but it's just the way I see it. Expectations aside this has made a noticeable difference in my hair. I get almost no tangles post use, my curls look defined and soft and I haven't needed to wash any more often than I would with a traditional shampoo and conditioner. It's here to stay barring something really remarkable.

Skin: The only skincare repurchase that was made this year was the REN Clear Calm Clay Cleanser. (ugh! that name!) It's changed my morning skincare routine and really seems to remove the overnight residue without stripping my skin or making me feel parched. If you are looking for a non-lathering cleanser to add to your routine I can't recommend this one highly enough.

Base: I finally found a primer this year that makes a real difference in the way my makeup wears. For the first time this step doesn't feel unnecessary to me. The Becca Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector keeps makeup absolutely cemented to the face. It feels like glue but it works like glue, doesn't contain silicone and, doesn't break me out. In addition to face primer success I've gone back to the OG of Eye Primers with the Urban Decay Primer Potion. After a few years of looking for alternatives there really is no beating this for me.
 Over top I have been religiously using the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in the shade B30. A hair too dark for me right now perhaps (will be picking up B10 in the not too distant future.) but the nice natural coverage makes it totally passable for now. On top of a beautiful light finish it sets of it's own accord and even on it's own wears well for a full workday on me. A well placed beauty investment.
Along with everyone else I also loved the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla this year and despite my dalliances as of late this was by far the best 2014 had to offer. Full coverage with a skin-like finish and a repurchase in store for sure.
To finish I have used the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light since late last year and have hardly deviated. I went through the one in the palette and am very close to finishing off the full size. If you want a soft focus finish with some extra coverage; look no further.

Eyes: As 2014 was the year of the bold lip for me the eyes took a backseat. I became a big, big fan of cream shadow sticks for their swipe and go quality. Formulas like the Mally Evercolor Shadow Stick, Laura Mercier Caviar Stick and Kiko Long Lasting Shadow Stick have made frequent appearances all year long.
No eye is complete without a little mascara and the one that really changed things for me this year was the YSL Faux Cils "Shocking" Mascara. Thirty bucks or not this formula instantly gives a false lash effect and if you are forgoing all other eye makeup it is well worth the price tag.

Cheeks: I had two very long term love affairs on the cheeks this year. The MAC Extra Dimension Blush in Fiery Impact. A limited edition offering from 2013 that I picked up at a CCO and have been completely unable to put down. A warm terracotta shade with a satin finish that pairs well with everything. If you come across this puppy don't pass it up. 
In conjunction I have been using the best new thing on the highlighter market since the last best thing. The Balm's Cindy LouManizer is the warm peach-y version of the Mary LouManizer and has taken over it's predecessors spot in my routine. While they are both stellar products in their own right Cindy took the top spot in 2014.

 Lips: NARS won this category hands down this year. Their classic Lipstick in Barbarella owned all my other nude lipsticks this year. I nabbed this back in July and come January it's nearly gone. It is the perfect balance of sheer peach, brown and pink in one little rubberized bullet. The Velvet Matte Lip Pencils have come in a close second. I have Red Square and Train Bleu and am eagerly looking to expand the collection. Long wearing, bold color and, a matte finish all in one pencil makes this makeup junkie very very happy.
An honorable mention goes to the Sephora Cream Lip Stain. If the shade range was larger and more diverse I would have one in every color.

Fragrance: While my mainstay of the Tokyo Milk Dark Bulletproof is still going strong Elizabeth and James' Nirvana Black has quickly climbed the ranks. It's a deep sweet and amber-y scent that wears close to the body, lasts all day and isn't over powering.

*An honorable mention goes to the Nuxe Reve De Miel lipbalm. It's not new and has been a staple for years but it has yet to be de-throned.*

Whew...if you lasted that long congratulations!
Happy New Year and tell me below what you lived and loved for this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.