Pages

Thursday, July 05, 2012

My Best Friend's Girl...



Tank: Old Navy (Years and years ago) Skirt: DIY (for reals) Belt: Primark (why did I not get more of these?)






Kunckle Ring: F21 (actually a toe ring) Snake: Street Vendor Other Rings: Discount Jewlery Store Cross: Gift



Shoes: Kenneth Cole Reaction via DSW (Go check these out ASAP!)

It has been so  hot lately. We had a few people at my family's house this weekend and I sufferd from the worst case of heat stroke I've ever had. I felt so ill all weekend that when I woke up Monday I felt like I needed to dress up a little to improve my mood. It turned out to be the perfect opportunity to bust out the skirt I made myself a few weeks ago. Yes, you read that right, I made it myself.

I was a fashion student for 4+ year and all of my favorite projects involved being able to make things that fit me. Some professors were really into that notion, others were not. I was always more excited when I got to spend money on fancy material for school that also happened to be for something I was going to be able to wear in the end. So here I am over a year later and what exactly have I made myself? Nothing. Squat. That was until my recent unemployment hit the 8 week mark and my boredom started to become especially difficult to manage.

I had been lusting after a sheer blush/nude maxi skirt after seeing it on girls all over the internet but, no matter how hard I tried I could not find one that fit me. That is generally one of the drawbacks of wearing a larger size, often trends take an extra season or two to reach your department. I decided that it was such an easy piece to make and that I was being foolish.

Fortunately JoAnn's Fabrics basically had put everything on sale the week I had this epiphany so the whole project cost me less than $26. SWEET! 

Now the rest of the look is just some pieces pulled from my languishing summer wardrobe. The tank top is litterally years old. Its faded, soft, nicely broken in and, for an item from Old Navy, has held up like a champ. I love the braided strap. I think it is such an easy way to make a basic tank just a little bit less...basic.

Also the cross was given to me randomly by some kid in a mall. No joke, we got to talking about the shirt I was wearing and the cross earrings that I already had on and then this necklace materialized out of nowhere. When I saw the perfect shape and size of the pendant I decided I wanted it too badly to politely refuse. The shoes were also an awesome coincidence. I was at DSW with Mom shopping for some Summer shoes to round out my more recent purchases and found these.  $49.95-70% later these were mine. They are Kenneth Cole Reaction, the sudede is so soft, and the heel is just the right size. Best sandals ever.It is maybe the first time I've ever been to DSW and felt like I've gotten a real steal. Best 15$ I've spent all Summer.


Have you guys tackled any projects latley? Found any good deals? How did they turn out?
xoxo
Molly

4 comments:

  1. Molly that is such a great outfit! I also preferred the school projects that I could wear myself. It's so much harder to muster up enthusiasm for something that's pricey, time consuming, and will forever live in your closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy with how it turned out and a little relieved that I remembered how to do it lol.

      Delete
  2. I'm really diggin that skirt on you, girrrrl. Side-note: Keep an eye out for Jennifer Hudson's new collection, debuting on QVC during fashion week... There's a few pieces (in your size!) that I think might strike your fancy. ;)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.