Pages

Thursday, May 03, 2012

Bonded

As a complete a total nail polish junkie it shouldn't be too big a surprise that I go through a fair amount of topcoat and basecoat. The topcoat I've got figured out. It's Seche Vite all the way. Anything else and the polish chips, and takes forever to dry. Basecoat on the other hand, is something that constantly changes. I've tried Revlon, CND, Essie and now Orly.

Orly Bonder Basecat
For a bit of background, my nails are complete shit. To begin with they were not in very good shape but since these nail polish shenanigans began the situation has only gotten worse. They are prone to flaking, peeling, and breaking quite easily which is why my polish chips so badly without the proper tools. I generally look for nail bases that are geared toward helping to repair the damage but I had heard so many great things about Orly's Bonder basecoat I felt like I needed to give it a try.

The basecoat itself is rubberized, so even when it dries it maintains this sticky rubber cement type quality. You can almost feel the polish adhering to the base when you go to apply the first coat. I have never found anything that keeps my polish on longer. The only thing that makes my polish chip when I wear this is when my nails get too long, the polish grows out, and my nails break. If you are blessed with healthy nails I don't think I could recommend this enough. At 7$ a bottle I would say its about average price-wise for a salon brand basecoat and worth every penny.

On my sorry ass nails though I think I'm going to have to look into something with some more strengthening properties. Next on my list of to-trys is OPI Nail Envy. From what I heard for those of us whose nails are in particularly rough shape Nail Envy is the treatment to turn to.

What are some of your basecoat recommendations?

xoxo
Molly

4 comments:

  1. Molly! I actually use this you'd be proud. I have pretty good nails but after using this for a couple of months it started peeling off the top layer of my nail so they got really weak and started fraying so I'm letting them grow out again. I definitely need to try that top coat though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! The topcoat goes goopy really fast but I still have not found anything that comes close to it. I wish this was nicer to my nails but its so good I haven't switched to anything new yet lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be closely following your basecoat adventures, because I like you am a polish junkie with shitty flaky peely breaky nails... Wishing you the best of luck, miss Molly!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.