Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Capsule Wardrobe| Lipstick High and Low

I've done one capsule posts before (here and here), essentially about the basic items you should have in your collection to create the most diverse looks with the fewest products. 

I did not show the same restraint here...but, I am offering a high end and a more budget friendly lineup for you guys to choose from. This way you can fill the gaps in your collection from either lineup or mix and match as you see fit.

The formula here was simple. I picked one nude, mauve, coral, berry and, red shade from each price point. Some of the shades, the nudes in particular, are going to work better for those of you with a warmer skin tone (like mine) but the more saturated colors should be fair game for everyone. 

I omitted pinks because, as I have mentioned recently, the variation in that particular color category is a little nerve wracking for me.


So as far as the high end lineup goes the nude that I have not put down since July is NARS Barbarella. It is the perfect peach nude color that seems to work with every other kind of makeup and even makes a nice neutral statement all on its own. If you are in the market for a nice warm nude I cannot recommend this enough.
    Newest to my collection is NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien. A soft rose pink with an, obviously, satin finish this one I like to reach for with an sort of soft natural look or even a warm smokey eye. It's like the younger version of your grandma's mauve lip. 
        The coral here was an easy pick Urban Decay's Revolution Lipstick in Streak is the peachy coral shade I've been wearing non stop for the last year, It's sheer so it allows a hint of your natural lip color to peek through while imparting a brightening peach cast over the lips. This is another one that works well with both natural and slightly more dramatic eye looks. It is particularly nice with navy.
       For a high end berry choice the Marc Jacobs Kiss Pop Lip Color Stick in the shade Headliner is a beautiful deep raspberry pink shade, This one is like baby steps toward a true vampy lip and the deep blue based shade is one of the few I've encountered that really does looks good on everyone. 
  Finally the classic red I chose is definitely very different in terms of formula. It is the new love of my lip life; the Beaute Liquid Gel Lip Stain in the shade Fever. In the tube it looks very dark and imposing but on the lip it is a truly stunning matte black cherry red that I have not been able to get enough of. The wear is long, even and, comfortable and the product is unmatched by anything else I've tried to date.  

The budget lineup is not too terribly different from the high end selection except of course in price. 

For a nude I opted for is like an every so slightly brighter version of NARS Barbarella and it's Rimmel's Moisture Renew Lipstick in the shade Notting Hill Nude. It's a slightly brighter and, more opaque formula that, as it says, is very hydrating on the lips. This reformulation from Rimmel is an update on a formula that was already holding it's own at the drugstore. The very slippy nature of this makes it better, for me, in more nude shades and if this one is too peachy for you there are many other neutrals in the line to pick from. 
Hands down my favorite budget lip brand these days is Maybelline and topping the list is their newer Creamy Matte Lipcolor in the shade Touch of Spice. Notorious for it's 90's style it is a really beautiful neutral brown-y mauve shade that walks the line between a barely there neutral and a raisin type shade. This one was more of an acquired taste for me but this past fall I used it a lot.
The coral in the budget lineup is by far more a more bold choice than it's high end counterpart but beautiful none the less. The Maybelline Color Sensational Vivid in the shade Shocking Coral is a neon pink-coral shade that leans a little bit more heavily on the pink side of things. The finish is light and creamy but very very pigmented.
The budget berry is a classic NYX formula. The Soft Matte Lip Cream in the shade Prague is a dusty mid toned berry color. Compared to the Marc Jacobs Headliner this is a lighter almost milkier kind of berry color but as with most berry shades I find this type of color to be really easy to wear across the board. Not to mention this remains one of the most comfortable and long wearing liquid lipstick formulas in the drugstore market. 
Finally the new Milani Color Statement lipstick in Best Red has quickly replaced my previous favorite drugstore red. (Maybelline Color Sensational in Red Revival.) It is yet another lovely budget matte formula that is set to expand in 2015. The scent of these is something of an acquired taste (think watermelon Jolly Ranchers times a million.) but if you can move beyond that there are quite  few beautiful, some very bold, shades in several finishes that are a steal at the drugstore.

Woof! So if you guys made it through that three cheers and I hope you find some things in here that works for you!
God knows I love a good lippy or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.