Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beat the Winter Blues and Dye Your Hair Purple


Guys I did a thing!

A thing I practically never do. A Beauty something that really quite intimidated me for a long loooong time.

I put a crazy pants color in my hair. 

Now I realize that this is super popular right now and "everybody's doing it" but, I don't fucking care. I love it and I can't wait to do it again.


Now this is a seed that was planted almost two years ago when I had my stylist put some dainty blonde bits through the back and mid lengths of my hair to give the impression of an ombre. It looked good. It was soft the damage was minimal and so I decided I would try a light lavender tint effect a few weeks later. 

I wanted something I knew would be temporary because I am a chicken shit. I was even unemployed at the time ie:the perfect time to make your hair/appearance extra left of center. 

I used this tutorial and did it once. It looked adorable but it blended too well with the brown and I was sad it wasn't more dramatic. 

Cut to two weeks ago I am fighting the NYC January blues, contemplating a haircut and, trying to figure out what I want to do for my birthday next week, (Spoiler Alert: Be stuck on the couch with tonsillitis. Yay.) I think to myself, "Well before you get a haircut maybe just bleach some of it and go purple. All you need is the bleach."

Next thing I know I'm at the mom and pop beauty supply shop being stared down by a very clingy (but well meaning) middle aged Asian lady twirling a box of Revlon's Frost and Glow Highlighting Kit over in my hands. 

Now I could have gotten actual bleach and developer but I wanted a low volume developer and an idiot proof delivery system so I opted for the kit. Instead of going the early 00's frosted streaks move I just applied the mixture to the hair starting about three inches from my ends (I was being conservative in case I hated it.) concentrating more product at the ends and less toward the lengths. After about 45 minutes (the max according to the directions) I had a nice light blonde color but I was afraid it wouldn't be quite light enough. I washed, conditioned and layered a leave in treatment on my hair first (an added layer of protection?) before reapplying a little more bleach over the same areas and waiting about 20 minutes. 

Blonde base perfection.

I followed it up with a generous helping of Manic Panic's Ultra Violet letting is sit another 20-30 minutes et voila magical purple ombre hair! YAY!


It has since faded from the color you see on the left to something more pastel and grey toned but I don't care. I am loving it through all the stages, conditioning more and wearing my hair down more.

This decision was just made of So. Much. Win.


On top of that I'm really looking forward to going a little crazier with it and doing a little more bleach and a different color the next time around.

As far as a way to kick those winter blues I don't think I could have chosen better.




(Alright I still have a bottle of whiskey in the house but I can't take that to work!)











No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.