Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Beauty Purge 2015|#3 The Thing About Pink


As I wade through my acrylic drawers full of excess makeup (mainly lip products) I've suddenly noticed something.

I own A LOT of pink lipstick.

Do you know what I almost never wear?

Pink lipstick.


I think pink as a general rule is subjected to the most variety in cosmetic products.

Additionally almost every other kind of color you could reach for in your collection can be washed with a hint of pink.
You hear it all the time, peachy-pink, pinky-red, pinky-nude and, so on.
So then what is it about the color that makes me reach for it half as often as my other lip color choices?

I think part of it is my coloring.

 Pink is, I think, generally more flattering on cooler undertones and my fair olive-ness is just not having it. Any kind of mid toned pink whether it's bright, pale, opaque or sheer just seems to cast this unearthly pallor over my complexion.
The way reds and peaches seem to lift my complexion and play off my features most of the pinks I've tried just seem to drag them down.

I think part of it is preference.

I've never been a pink kind of girl but admittedly, there is something about a brand new pink lipstick bullet that is so hard for me to say no to. It's like the epitome of what is traditionally considered feminine along with bows, ruffles and all things lace. (...Well maybe not all things.)

Now there is a whole gamut of things wrong with someone who buys multiples of things that expire that she 1. knows she won't use  and, 2. isn't really drawn to anywhere else in her life.

Now having said all of these things there are a handful of pinks that I do reach for and really enjoy wearing. Namely Urban Decay's Catfight, MAC's Lovelorn, Maybelline's Vivid Rose and, MAC's Candy Yum Yum. With the exception of Lovelorn (which is MAC witchcraft) they tend to be very bright and attention grabbing shades. 

I generally wear pinks on their own as more of a statement color because I find when I try to pair them with other things it looks and feels like "too much look" on my features.

As more insight into my buying tendencies becomes clear throughout the purge process I'm using these posts as a way to take notes on how I buy things, what I use and what ends up getting left behind. I think as I shop through 2015 (and I will shop) it will help guide my choices and prevent me from getting rid of nearly 80 lipsticks that I haven't used 2+ years from now. 

I figure that's a healthier way to hoarde.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.