Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Lazy Girl Halloween| The Pin Up Ghoul

I LOVE Halloween. 
Love it. 
But that doesn't mean I'm immune to realizing that I have no costume prepared at midnight on October 29th. 

Lucky for me this year I had plans that required a ticket so I was forced to think about it at least a week in advance and get some costume-y bits together. 

My roommate on the other hand was feeling froggy this evening and so we sat down to have a little play.



Zombie Pin Up Girl realness!
The best part about this is that it only requires one item that you wouldn't normally have on hand and that's white face paint. By mixing it with your everyday makeup you can put together a spooky pin up queen in about 45 minutes. 
I took some regular skintone foundation (Revlon Nearly Naked in Vanilla) and some white face paint; that I got two (eek maybe three) Halloweens ago at Kmart. (Way better stuff here!)
I mixed in a little of a matte turquoise eyeshadow and a little of a brown/purple shade to create a blue/green/grey deathly pallor. 
Just a hint. If at all possible you want to use only matte colors for this look. Anything with shimmer will end up looking strange and plastic-y.
I didn't in these photos but if you are wearing something that exposes a bit of skin you want to mix enough of this to blend down the neck or wherever your skin will be exposed.

Once I had the base color down I went back in with a grey color to contour out the cheekbones and add a hint of skeletal effect. Then I went in with my Meet Matte Nude palette and I used all of the warm browns, greys, and yellow tones to add sunken tired and bruised patches all over the skin.

If I had thought this out a little more I may have played around with some tissue and eyelash glue to create scabs and texture on the skin. I think that is something I will do as I am planning on recreating this look (or something similar) on myself for a party Saturday.

Once I was satisfied with the dead effect I just went back in and added good old fashioned pin up makeup on top. 
I used black in the brows because I wanted them to stand out. I think it helps with getting the "made up" look across but it's also quite harsh so I think it works on all fronts. 

As far as the eye was concerned I just went in with the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper and gave Kat (My roomie's name is also Kat, I don't know Ms Von D personally.) here a nice thick Winehouse wing. It doesn't have to be insanely precise, you are dead after all. 
Although I didn't do it here I think I would also add some false lashes to this for Saturday.
If I don't wear them on Halloween I never wear them, might as well cash in.

For the lips I used a selection of the Wet N Wild Mega Last lipsticks in various shades of red (Cherry Picking was the base color!) and some black eyeliner to create a very soft black to red ombre lip. Again the addition of the darker color lends itself to the creep fatcor.

With a pair of high waisted pants, a white V-neck, and a bandana in the hair you have a ready made spooky but pretty (and sexy if you prefer) Halloween costume that doesn't require anything but makeup. 

Hopefully this helps you out if you are in need of some last minute ideas or are trying to toe a budget this year.
Don't underestimate what your makeup can do!

2 comments:

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.