Pages

Tuesday, October 07, 2014

On A Budget: The 90's Mouth

Leave it to a Kardashian (or in this case technically a Jenner but hey, guilty by association.) to bestow upon us the next big trend in makeup. 
Well if you're me it's the next big old trend. I was alive in the 90's, albeit a bit young for makeup. 

But... you better believe my introductory lipstick was a brown toned rose mauve shade.

This time around though I'm going a little pinker an a little darker to make the 90's lip a little more user friendly.



Now since trends move so fast these days and the turnover at the drugstore does not there are still quite a few 90's classics lingering at your local drugstore.

Those are not the droids you're looking for.

I want to talk some newer drugstore options today that give you a great throwback feel.

The NYX Matte Lipstick is an oft celebrated item on my YouTube channel. I have loved these for years and dabbled in many shades. For that quintessential 90's Carnation lip you have to go with the shade Euro Trash. It's a cool toned mid pink with a vaguely taupe brown vibe to it.
When I think 90's I think taupe.
I think it's the closest to a traditional brown mauve shade and the comfortable, long wearing formula clocks in at a whopping $6. 

Next is Revlon's Colorburst Matte Balm. This was really the first standout matte formula to emerge from a large scale drugstore brand. The shade Sultry is my pick for the 90's mid toned mouth trend. It's a little darker than you normally see people go for this look but I think it really fits here. It's borderline rasin-esque which is a nice alternative to a brown nude if you want an authentic 90's alternative. 
With a minty scent and a featherweight formula this is another standout matte lip from the aisles of your local drugstore. 

Clearly I like matte lips.

The newest and my favorite addition to the list is YET ANOTHER Maybelline Creamy Matte Lipstick shade. This is my last one. (Until it's not.) I swear. 
This is in Touch of Spice and of the three listed it is my favorite shade. It's somewhere in between the other two and just a very flattering natural shade for my complexion.
It has just enough warmth and depth and the formula is easily a new favorite. It is both lightweight and long lasting. I hope they come out with more colors.

Whether or not you're on board the 90's makeup train all three of these are stellar formulations for a budget matte lip. Give them a try and report back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.