Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Ugly Pretty Colors


One thing Autumn trends tend to bring about is the presence of "ugly pretty colors." You know the pea soup and baby poop green shades. 
Things that only ever seem pretty when the air is clear and crisp and all of the scenery is blustery and warm.
I don't know quite what it is about this time of year but it makes me want mustard nails. 

In honor of the season let's match our nails to the wilting foliage! 


Now the easy target here is Illamasqua's Bacterium. Harder to find in the states these days as the brand has moved their operation back over seas for now but a lovely 'slightly off' nude that I personally spend a lot of time wearing. 
It's a warm taupe nude shade injected with a bit of a silver blue sheen. On the nail it does give the effect of slightly sallow and sick skin. 
Attractive.
The next recommendation is a good one from a few years back. OPI's Just Spotted the Lizard was a rip off of the insanely popular and very limited edition Chanel Peridot
This looks very much like a beetle exoskeleton when applied and is a beautiful warm green gold with a blue/purple shift.
Many many brands have started doing this kind of color so if you can't get your hands on the OPI just have a quick look around.
Finally is a color not for the faint of heart. China Glaze's Trendsetter is the ultimate in pea soup green. I find paler skins look a little more convincing in shades like this but I always enjoy it. This shade is helped out by the little gold flecks in the formula that keep this from falling too flat on the nails.
Trendsetter usually only gets one trip around the ring each year but I look forward to my "Ugly Pretty moment as the seasons start to turn pretty ugly.

What do you think. 
All aboard the quirky color train.
We have plenty of room for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.