Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Spectrum: Olive

One of the not so neutral neutral makeup shades to reach for when the weather starts to cool (or anytime really) is an olive green. 
Hits of color mixed with a sprinkle of gold make for a sesaonlly on point shade that is so easy to wear.

The best part? I think is a shade that comes in a really nice variety of products so no matter how you want to wear it there is a way to make it work for you.

The nails are easily my favorite here. Butter London's Wallis is one of my favorite nail colors ever. Period. It has a lovely formula and a beautiful golden shimmer to it and is a nice alternative to a traditional vampy fall shade. Get this. You can thank me later.

When it comes to eyeshadows I have two favorites.

For a budget option the Boots Botanics Eyeshadow Quad in Velvet Green. This has a nice selection of greens to choose from and is anchored by the greyed olive shade in the top right corner. This shade makes an amazing liner or smokey shade especially for my brown eyed ladies.

For a slightly more expensive and simplified routine I go for the bareMinerals Ready Eyeshadow Duo in The Scenic Route. These two shades share a really flattering golden shine and as a result they play really well together on the eyes. A little green on the lid and blended into the crease with some gold in the inner corner and mascara to round things out and you have one super easy eye look.

The one place where olive shades really seem to excel is in liners. The pencil and liquid counterparts come from brands that really know their eyeliner so both of these formulas are going to laaaaast!

First up is the Stila Smudgestick in the shade Moray. This gives a beautiful pass of warm golden green color that I especially love on my lower lash line. When I wear shades like this my eye color comes alive in a way that no color can replicate and on days when I can't pick a shade this is usually what I reach for.

For a fun and funky cat eye I reach for Urban Decay's 24/7 Liquid Liner in Smog. This version of Smog shares very little with it's eyeshadow counterpart and is decidedly lighter and more green. Lack of color consistency aside this is a product that I get many compliments on when I take the time to wear it. The shade lasts and it makes an amazing eyeshadow base to boot!

Last up , speaking of bases, is another offer from bareMinerals. This is their Prime Time Primer Shadow in the Shade Urban Nature. This is a stunning army green with the most unusual pink shimmer flash hidden in it. It's not super noticeable when applied to the eyes but even from far away it has noticeable depth and interest. Color aside the formula on these can keep shadows crease free all day long.

So have I sold you on a hint of green gold to spice up your Autumn beauty wardrobe? 
I certainly hope so. 

Pro tip: Start with the liner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.