Pages

Monday, September 22, 2014

The Spectrum: Cranberry


Gah! I love this time of year. 
I love the red lips and the leather jackets and the layers. I love it. 

Get ready: as much as you heard me bitch about Summer I am going to fawn over Autumn twice as much. 

The first color I reach for is often a muted red, brown shade that is very reminiscent of a Cranberry. See how that works.

Check out what products I will be  reaching for in this color category all Fall long.
 From the top down!

I love red eyeshadow. 

Love it.
It gives a sexy, smudgey, smokey eye with a hint of color that flatters almost any eye shade and without the depth commitment of black, grey, or even some browns. After primer I layer on the **Maybelline Color Tattoo in Pomegranate Punk.** It is a shimmering brown red with gold pearl that wears just as stunningly as the rest of the range. I top it most often with a MAC shade but, probably not the one you are thinking of. I opt for Star Violet because it is a far more complex shade than the aptly named Cranberry. It has a subtle purple/red shift with a copper gold pearl that looks so complex and yet understated on the eye. 

I tend to avoid this shade under the eye though and generally go for a warm brown liner.

On the lips there are many...many variations of this Cranberry shade. For something slightly more saturated and blue toned I reach for Revlon' s Colorburst Matte Balm in Standout. It dries to a marvelously comfortable matte finish and wears well for around six hours. For something a little more understated I like Buxom's Full On Lip Stick in Tokyo. It is another really stellar matte formula with a fresh (and strong) mint flavor. This one is described specifically as a true Cranberry shade and is much more brown in tone than Revlon's offer.

Finally a classic cranberry nail shade that I go back to year after year. Romeo and Joliet is a deep red/brown shade with a hidden shimmer. It is SO beautiful and easy to wear. The hidden shimmer gives the shade more depth and more life than almost any other shade and the best part is that it's a part of OPI's permanent collection.

As far as color cosmetics are concerned I think this is the kind of color that is easily integrated into a "neutrals only" routine if you're looking to inject some seasonal color. 

Have you given the shade a try?

**It seems this shade has been discontinued. RUDE!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.