Pages

Monday, September 08, 2014

Apples of Your Cheeks


The one kind of blush color I always come back to when the weather is cool is a bright red-toned berry shade. 
When applied lightly these give a wind bitten flush on the cheeks that is really brightening and flattering on the skin. 
The added bonus of dramatic blush colors like these is that they work on every single skin tone no matter how light or dark.
Very unusually for me two of my three favorite shades for this kind of flush are creams. I think it adds to liveliness of the shade and as this is a look I go for mostly in fall and winter I don't have to worry about the product migrating.

The shade that really started my love affair with this look it Stila's Convertible Color in Poppy. As the name would imply this is a warm poppy red shade. It it the ultimate player if you are looking for a "pinched cheek" effect. I don't find this to be a cream blush formula that sets though so if you do not have skin that can handle an emollient product I wouldn't recommend. 

Although it claims to be "convertible" I don't find this formula to be particularly flattering or comfortable on the lips. It looks much better on the cheeks anyway!

The second cream in the lineup is from Joe Fresh.* This can be a tricky item to track down here in the states unless you live in a larger city like New York. The brand initially took root in Canadian supermarkets of all places and has the price point to match. This shade is aptly named Flush and I think it set me back all of 8$. This is another cream formula that doesn't particularly set but has a slightly waxier texture and firmer grip to the skin than the Stila. The deeper look of the color here actually sheers out to a beautiful, slightly more blue-toned, berry cheek.

The frosted finish on the packaging also easily makes this look like a far more expensive item.

Now a drugstore item that you will probably be able to track down no matter where in the states you are is from Milani. It is their Baked Blush in Bella Rosa. Is is a bright rose toned pink shade that is completely unmistakeable in the display. This offers a slightly brighter take on the flushed cheek but I think the pink is a nice addition if you are going to pair this with something bright on the lips.  That combo with a naked I is something I reach for very often in the early A.M. hours. 

On the downside this product is not for the heavy handed. Even with a stippling brush this can get out of hand very quickly. Proceed with caution. 

All in all this is another technique to add to the repertoire of things you can do when you're tired and need something to make you look alive and kicking.

*This is just a link to a product review as this item isn't available online. If you live in NYC there are a dozen or so stores littered all over Manhattan!*

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.