Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Discard Pile: Concealer

So the makeup adventure is one full of hills and valleys. Sometimes you find things that work amazingly well and you and can't image your routine without them and then sometimes things look like shit...

Such is life...
 
I always love reading posts where people talk about things they don't like because I think that can sometimes be even more helpful. The things someone doesn't care for in a product have actually convinced me to buy the very same product because it sounded like it would work for me and what I was looking for. 

So on that note...let's look at some failures.


So the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer did not pan out for me the way the foundation did at all. Despite the shade being very illuminating, the yellow base tone of the line across the board doesn't really work with the intention I had when I bought it. Instead of brightening the under eyes the yellow meets my purple-y under eyes and goes kind of grey. On top of that the illuminating factor keeps this from being a good blemish concealer.

The Maybelline Fit Me Concealer has the right tone and color for under eyes but just lacks the amount of coverage I am looking for to cover my hereditary dark circles. I did use this for quite a while but once some other options came into my life this quickly became neglected. If you don't need tremendous coverage though this could be a nice option.

The L'Oreal True Match Crayon Concealer. This one is a nice level of cover in the perfect match for my skin. The reason I don't reach for this is that it generally makes the areas I apply this to look exceptionally dry, flaky, and cake-y. To make matters worse the coverage only lasts about an hour or so on me but somehow manages to leave the dry irritated appearance of the product behind. Rude.

The Hard Candy Lite Bright suffers from similar issues as the L'Oreal for me. It is a nice shade for under eye brightening but looks so dry and heavy under the eyes that my skin just can't take it. It doesn't however suffer from the same lasting issues as the L'Oreal. Quite the contrary in fact; this stuff sets like concrete...even on the applicator brush.

Finally the timeBalm concealer by theBalm. This is the least offensive of the bunch but still ends up being something I hardly ever reach for. The heavy silicone content in this doesn't agree with my skin and so putting it on over blemishes seems incredibly counter productive. I also find that this doesn't blend into my skin very well and ends up looking a lot like heavy makeup that I've only applied in a few select areas while the rest of my face, thanks to Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua, looks like nice even skin. 

Whew...that was a lot of bad all in one place but I hope it was useful to those of you looking for something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.