Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Worthy Splurge?

I don't think I experience splurge guilt any worse than when I spend a lot of money on nail polish. It is arguably, the LEAST impactful form of cosmetic application, but one we (or I anyway) spend a TON of money on.

As such: I try to stick to a few rules when splurging on fancy finger paint.





Is this nano bottle of polish a color you could find in any other brand? Is this a color you wear ALL the time. Is the formula so stellar you'll never want to buy from any other brand? Do your research.

For example Lime Crime Makeup's Crema De Limon is an almost neon, buttery, pale yellow shade that is opaque on the nails in nearly one coat. That is simply unheard of for any yellow color, almost ever. However, at 8$ for a very small bottle this may not be something you would deem a necessary expense. 

Illamasqua's nail polish, in any shade, is touted as having one of the best formulations of any polish out there. (Pictured is the shade Nomad) I would have to concur. They don't always apply in 1 coat but they DO wear impeccably on the nails, and generally grow out before they chip off. For colors that I wear a lot (Nomad and Jo'Mina) they are worth every penny of the $17 (Woof! They used to be $14)  purchase. This is also the only brand that can persuede me to buy a classic color

Finally, I like to splash out on colors that you simply cannot find anywhere else. Indies really are the best for this and my love affair with small batch polish companies really started around this time last year. If Multichromes are your thing I (Heart) Nail Polish is 100% the brand for you. They are insanely pigmented and flash to so many shades it will make your head spin. Glitter is a little more prolific but my personal favorites are Black Cat Lacquer and Polish Me Silly (Formerly Lush Lacquer). Generally these can range anywhere from 9-15$. 

So before you plop that $20 down ask yourself. Will I reach for this often? Can I find it somewhere else for less? Is it going to last better than any other version?

If the answer is yes, then treat yourself lady friend. You will get your dollars worth out of it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.