Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

The Hydration Step

Guys Spring has Spring and I can take pictures outside again!!!

So the one "Hirons Approved" skincare routine step that I've always sort of...skipped (shhhh don't tell) was the hydrating toner. Generally applied post exfoliating/acid toner I had spent what felt like AGES (but what in reality was like...8 months.) looking for one that I thought really did anything.

Low and behold a little over a month ago whilst perusing the Sephora website I found something I thought might work. 

Since then I've revisited a handful of other spritzes and toners so I figured I share my thoughts and conclusions.


So first up, the product that made it all happen, the Clinique Even Better Essence Lotion. Mine is the combo/oily skin one; I've heard the two formulas don't differ much but I've only tried the one so far so I can't vouch for that. I LOVE this. It's light, it hydrates and creates a morning after plumpness on my skin that I've only ever gotten from products I can't afford full sizes of before. 

I sprinkle a few drops of this onto a cotton pad after I exfoliate and swipe that pad (front and back) all over my face and neck. After that I follow up with whatever serum and or moisturizer I have on deck for that night. 

The only drawback to this baby so far is how quickly it seems to run down. I've had it for 4-5 weeks and I'm already a quarter of the way through it. For 32$ I'd love to see it go a little further.

As such I've been swapping in some of my slightly less pricey but also lovely facial sprays some nights to help conserve the higher priced product. The one I've been holding onto the longest is the Herbivore Botanicals Balance Facial Toning Spray. I used this one a lot last Spring and Summer as more of a refresher than a toner but as of late I've been applying it right before my serum and really finding my love for it again. 

With a hit of Aloe, Neroli, and Witch Hazel it packs a nice hit of hydration along with some soothing and antiseptic properties. Not as effective as the Clinique for sure but lovely in it's own right. 

Finally on the docket is the Glossier Soothing Face Mist. This is a much more basic combo of primarily Rose Water, Aloe and, Glycerin. I tend to reach for this one more when my skin is feeling tender or irritated as I find rose based things to be very helpful on my skin for that. It's good for taking down redness and does provide a nice hit of hydration but as the product is mostly just water and preservatives I don't find this creates as lasting a hydration as the other two.

It is, however, the least pricey of the three and a nice product for over makeup or a quick spritz during the day. There are some nights where I opt for this one but for the most part the Clinque and Herbivore Botanicals have been my top two choices.

I am thinking the next one on the list will likely be this

Have you guys tried including this kind of step in your routine? Would you? Have any good product recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.