Pages

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

About Face: The Golden Daytime Smokey

 This is a kind of look that I often go to. It's sexy and smudgy but not particularly dramatic or difficult. I love a good messy eye look. I've said it before but I think some of the best looking makeup is makeup that looks "well worn". 
It looks effortless in a slightly more thoughtful way I guess.
I've been using about 5 minutes and six products to go from clean and simple to badass bitch, even on a Wednesday morning.


I''ve been taking a cue from my younger self for this one and actually going in with a creamy black liner(this one is good!) first. I apply it all around the base of the lashes and then go in with my finger and gently smudge it upward. I only like to take it about halfway up my lid and build the intensity in layers to create a more subtle graduated effect. 

Then I go in with a combo of warm mid-toned browns on top of the black to soften the stark color and to add some shine. I tend to start with a matte color toward the crease and build up layers of a golden shimmer on top. I reached for a few MAC shades for this (this, this, and this for reference) but any kind of warm golden bronze will get you where you need to be.
 A good stiff brush will be your friend for this job. The MAC 217 is a classic but so many cosmetic brush companies have come out of the woodwork in the last few years that it should be easy to find something similar. I also sometimes reach for this one

Finally I'll finish the look off with a hefty layering of mascara. I'm using this one from Too Faced right now and while I love the effect it gives I do find it flakes throughout the day. I also really like this one for a more affordable option. 
I love a look like this. I think it's a sexy statement that nice for any time of day or night. You can even adapt the eye shadow shades to better suit your eyes or preferences but I think a technique like this one can really get a lot of results with very little effort.

Have you guys ever a put a look together like this? 
Would you wear it during the day?


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.