Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

A Matte Red Lip at Every Price Point

Tis the season of the red lip!
Now I love me a red lip all year round. As such I have amassed and embarrassingly large assortment of red lip options at all pice points. 
The only caveat here is that ALL and I do mean ALL of my red lip colors are matte. 

I have said this before and I stand by it now but when you wear a bold lip, matte is your friend. 

No bleeding, minimal transferring and no strands of hair stuck to your lips.
What's not to love?



Starting from the bottom and working up.

The Budget Red.
Maybelline Color Sensational Cream Matte in Siren in Scarlett

This new lip release from Maybelline has been banged on about all over the internet for months and despite being sick of the banter it is totally worth the hype. This formula has blown my previous favorite, the NYX Matte Lipstick, out of the water. The color selection is slim especially compared to NYX but, the Siren in Scarlett shade is a spot on classic warm red shade. (Think June Cleaver.)I think if you are easing your way into a red lip it's always nice to go for a more budget friendly option in case you end up no liking it on yourself and bold lip newbie or not this formula is to die for.
( If warm red isn't your thing the classic Maybelline Color Sensational in Red Revival is a beautiful blue based red in a Satin finish. )

The Mid Range Red
Sephora Cream Lip Stain in #03 Strawberry Kissed

All three of these formulas have been talked about at length both by me and other bloggers and I swear it's for a reason. This lip stain retails for under 20$ and is the perfect, teeth whitening, skin brightening pink red shade. The texture of this dries down matte and wears uninterrupted until you eat something. I also think this shade is slightly more approachable in the red department and something about the cool tone and the brightness makes this seem younger and fresher compared to it's more vintage looking counterparts. 

The High End Red
NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Red Square

Finally the ultimate in color and formula (for me) is the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil. It is insanely light weight feeling on the lips and wears forever. The shade Red Square is similar to Siren in Scarlet in that it is very orange in tone but the NARS is less saturated and more on the orange side of things. Not the most forgiving if your teeth are less than perfectly white but a beautiful color none the less. Cruella is a little bit more forgiving if you are afraid of the orange but Red Square is such a classic hue and makes for a very striking shade especially if you are feeling extra festive and opt to wear some green. If you are in the market for a really stellar matte formula and are having a "Treat Yo Self" moment this is the NARS Velvet Matte formula is the way to go!

I hope you guys found this helpful. The best reds take some time to find and these are just my personal favorites but I am a firm believer that the hunt is the best part!
Do you have a favorite festive red?


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.