Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Vampy Lips-Mirror Selfie Style



 Along my makeup journey I have come to really love myself in a vampy lip.
I think it happened around the same time I "embraced the pale".

The high contrast of my paper white complexion against a deep bloody brown red or purple shade just adds to the long list of reasons why the colder months are my favorite.

So in classic Sunday bathroom selfie style I am going to walk you through four stellar choices if you're looking to add a more goth girl options to your lip color lineup.


 
One of the more underrated MAC options is Film Noir. It's a matte finish chocolate cherry shade that is surprisingly flattering on my golden toned and pale complextion.
It is by far the most brown leaning of all the shades in my collection and possibly the most difficult to wear. It's the darkest but paired with a light colored top and a good strong blush this one gives a very 1920's feel that is irresistible.

My newest acquisition is the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in the shade Train Bleu. After Christine of Temptalia fame named it as her favorite vampy lip and the Sephora VIB sale in progress I had no handle on my self control. Into the basket it went.
I have sung the praises of this formula before after taking Red Square for a test drive and while this shade doesn't last quite as long the wear is comfortable and impressive in it's own right. It is the most matte of all the finishes so much so that it barely shows up on the mirror, but still manages to not dry the lips.

The second MAC offering is an old (read OLD) MAC favorite of mine. I bought Dark Side in an attempt to fill a Rebel void when I went to complete my first ever Back to MAC. 
This is the happiest marriage of the three shades I look for in a deep lip; brown, red, and purple. I also like the MAC Amplified formula as a nice alternative to a matter finish. It keeps the lips nice and sheen-y without the fear of it bleeding into the area around my lips.

The final shade in my lineup is the Urban Decay Revolution lipstick in Shame. This is a case of the color in the bullet looking far more frightening than it does on the lip. It is the lightest and the most pink of the four shades despite appearances. 
This is also a less matte formula for those of you who prefer something a bit creamier. This, alternatively to Film Noir, looks amazing with a bit of bronzer in the cheeks and a nearly naked eye.

Now there are definitely more where these came from but as far as intro vampy shades go I think there is something here for everyone. Don't worry drugstore fans. I've got something for you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.