Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

The Spectrum: Sunset Orange

With summer on it's last legs I thought it was time to feature a shade that worked well as a transition into fall. Being inherently warm and pumpkin-y all at the same time orange works perfectly going from August to September and, with this autumnal weather we've been having in New York lately it seems very appropriately timed. 


Let's start at the top.

On they eyes I don't have anything pure orange per se but, I do have some amazing shades that really warm up the eyes. First up is MAC's Tete-a-Tint. (apparently discontinued now? Check your CCO) This is the perfect peach-orange transition color. It creates a halo of warmth as you blend toward the browbone that I think flatters warm and cool shades alike. For a nice warm all over smokey look I have really been loving Milani's new Bella Eyes Eyeshadows in the shade Bella Copper. It is hugely metallic and a beautifully simple warm smokey eye. Copper shades tend to be up my alley anyway and this is a really nice option especially if you are on a budget. Apparently there is also a shade called Bella Mandarin which would also be beautiful but I currently do not have. (It's on the list).

My blush pick, while it's was limited edition shade has been made permanent. by MAC since it's initial release. Modern Mandarin is a true deep, slightly muted, orange blush. It mimics a freshly sunswept face and is suprisingly easy to wear.

On the lips are two very favorite shades of mine. The one that gets the most rotation is by far Make Up Forever's Rouge Artist Intense in number 40. It is a true tangerine orange shade and is surprisingly user friendly. The Rouge Artist Intense formula is pretty stellar satin to matte formula that lasts about 6 hours on the lips. A budget contender is Maybelline's Color Sensational Vivid in Vibrant Mandarin. This is slightly more red (read: slightly less intimidating) and a little bit more moisturizing and glossy on the lip. 

Now on to the tips. My favorite and by far the most flattering orange polish I have ever tried. Butter London's Silly Billy. It's a beautiful orange lollipop colored crelly finish that looks so dense and full on the nails. It is damn near orange perfection. If you feel like something a bit more peachy (and less than $15) look no further than OPI's Where did Suzi's Man-Go? A pale orange-peach shade makes this a more wearable and "office appropriate" shade for day to day wear.

Phew...that was a lot of stuff. I love incorporating warm orange tones into my looks and I think they are so much more flattering than most people give them credit for. If you're feeling a little more adventurous I would whole heartedly recommend you give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.