Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

About Face: Simply Complicated


It never eases to amaze me how many products can be employed in the achievement of the "no make up" made up face. Now clearly I am wearing lipstick in the above shots but I am loving all my new bits and really wanted to give them a test run.

I decided for a Sunday running errands in the neighborhood a plain, contoured face a naked eye and a bold lip and brow were the way to go.


I am LOVING my new foundation routine. I think a video might be in order on that account. This is a very face heavy face of the day and I started, as you do, by priming. First the eyes with Lorac Behind the Scenes and then the face with Becca's Ever-Matte formula.

 I tend to prime my whole eye area because I find eye primer products to be as helpful with concealers as they are with shadows. The Becca face primer is really in a class of itself. It leaves me smooth and matte looking for hours and I have never really encountered anything else like it.

I have been really reveling in the good skin since I finally invited Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua into my life for good. This foundation produces a finish on the skin that is so lovely you might need to see it to believe it. On top of the beautiful finish, when paired with the Becca primer, it feels like you have nothing on your skin.

The concealers are a bit of a classic duo, the Clinique Airbrush (RIP this one kicked the bucket this morning.) and the Nars Radiant Creamy. Layered together they make for a bright under eye that doesn't look over highlighted or caked on. This and the foundation went on with the aid of my trusty Real Techniques Buffing Brush.

After, I set all of the face products with my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light. If I sing the praises of this stuff anymore you are all going to get sick of the tune and change the station. (It's still powder perfection though)

On the cheeks I just contoured with some of Illamasqua's Cream Pigment in Hollow and the Real Techniques Contour Brush. I skipped the blush to keep the color focus on the lip and opted for a strong highlight from theBalm's Mary Lou-Manizer instead. The cheek products from theBalm really are worth checking out if you ever find yourself near a counter. I find myself reaching for this or the Cindy Lou-Manizer almost every day. 

So the eyes. Almost nothing but just enough.

I used a push liner brush to get some of MAC's Typographic right up into the lashline for some added definition and volume. I popped some of my highlighter in the inner corner, curled my lashes (Japonesque...meh) and loaded up with YSL'a Faux Cils Shocking Mascara. The mascara is kind of to die for. It's nice to know that when a brand asks you to shell out $30 for a product you will have to ditch in 3 months anyway they really make it worth your while.

As a last minute addition to they eyes I popped some of Rimmel's Scandal Eyes Eyeliner in Nude on my lower waterline for an extra bit of the wide awake effect.

For brows I stuck with my day to day and ran a bit of the Hourglass Arch Sculpting Pencil in Medium Brunette through the brows and then set them with the Essence Clear Lash and Brow Gel. It's 3$ and I have never encountered a better brow gel.

And now...for the centerpiece we have Marc Jacobs Kiss Pop Lipcolor Stick in Headliner on the lips.

Not only is this a stellar matter lipstick formula but this product wears and faces like a champ. Through bao and some serious french fries I still had a damn near perfect pout. It didn't even transfer anywhere else on my face when I opened my huge mouth.

If you're in the market and you have the budget I highly recommend giving the Kiss Pop sticks a try.

So how did you paint your face today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.