Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Neutral Eyeshadow Palettes 101

I go through phases with my eye makeup but, I typically wear more on my eyes in the colder months.

I'm not sure if it's an inherent tendency toward more makeup in general in the fall and winter but it tends to last longer and a more dramatic look just seems...more fitting with boots and a leather jacket than it does with shorts and Birkenstocks.

I also have a 7 a.m. fondness for single shadows but usually your dollars are better utilized by buying in bulk.





There are various angles to consider when palette shopping. 

 First I'll run through the ones that I own and then a palette shopping checklist.

The classic and the most expensive is the MAC palette

The pros to this are very clear. It is 100% customizable.They have also made the palette itself much cheaper since they released the new one. I think initially the palette was retailing for $18 and the insert was I think $4. I can't remember for sure but as of now the price has dropped to 8$ for the palette and $2 for the insert. Worth it. Despite the higher cost you can spread it out over as much time as you need to fill things up, so it supports someone on a budget. The MAC selection is also insane. There is actually something for everyone.

You can also opt for quad or duo palettes as well.

The downside is obviously the cost. From start to finish the total comes to $160 before taxes but, as I said before, you can space out your purchases.

The next most obvious choice is generally to get Naked. Urban Decay has really transformed the market when it comes to neutral makeup. There is a Naked palette for everyone and the quality of the product really is stellar. Be smart about the colors you gravitate towards when you put on your makeup and choose accordingly. Naked 1 is good for warm tones, Naked 2 for cool tones, Naked 3 supplements both nicely but I don't think performs as well on its own. The Naked Basics (Naked Basics 2 soon to join it's ranks) is also a good supplemental but also works well for those who only 
believe in matte shadows.

Now the unique creature is kind of the Lorac Pro palette series. I only have the second but am eyeing up the first after enjoying the second so much. I think if you're a normal creature and you're looking to get just one collection of eyeshadows to use all the time this is your winner. The matte vs shimmer ratio is on point as well as the texture of the product. They are so easy to use, come with a stellar primer and are great, particularly the first one, for basic day to day eye looks. Number two I think offers a little more versatility (which is why it was my first choice) but doesn't contain anything unwearable by any stretch of the imagination. 

The Wild Card is the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette. It is beautiful, pigmented and it smells like cocoa powder. Of all though it has the most color variation (a little purple and little pink etc..) and while that can be nice if you're open to it, if you're not there are better choices on the market. Call me lame but the kitschy packaging doesn't really do it for me either. I do like it, I'm glad I have it to play with and I do use it often but it is never really the first thing I reach for.

Now some points to consider. 
* Do you want warm tones, cool tones, or a mix of both?
*What is your ideal matte to shimmer ratio?
*How much color (as in non-neutral) do you want to see represented?
*How much do you want to spend?

Happy Shopping!
Or collecting. I don't know your life ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.