Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Spring Series| Lips


Despite what seems to be another late winter "polar vortex" I am so ready to start breaking out some of my favorite spring shades. 
I don't like to complain, because I do genuinely enjoy the winter months but, I'm at my wits end at this point. It's cold and grey and it snows just enough so that you can't stay home but your journey into work is a nightmare so yes, I'm done with winter. 

So continued from last week I'm going to give you the rundown of all the lippies I'm busting out to get me through the last of the coldest days. 



In no particular order and from left to right. 

The Beaute Cosmetics Liquid Gel Stain in Fluron. Holy crap is this thing a beauty. It gives the impression of naturally neon lips and has a formula like no other. It has transparent but complete color coverage so you get and even and intense color on your lips that is weightless and long lasting. If you haven't tried one of these yet I would definitely recommend you do. 

Next is the NYX Matte Lipstick in the shade Bloody Mary. This is something I've talked about on the blog and on my channel for nearly three years. (You can tell by how much writing is left on that tube.) It is a pinky red shade that straddles the line between the two shades perfectly. It is not as bright as a pink shade would be but a little less formal than a red. It also brightens up the face and makes your teeth look super white. The drugstore has improved upon this kind of formula since these were launched but it is still a respectable matte formula and worth checking out. 

The Revlon Lip Butter in Juicy Papaya is sort of the sheer cousin of MAC Ever Hip. I mention this in an upcoming Drugstore favorites video and I really do think this is one of the best shades the line has to offer. It is just bright enough to be not quite nude but not bright enough that you can't wear it with some color. Go get this.

Next up is the OCC Lip Tar in the shade Anime. This is a very very pigmented and high maintenance kind of shade but worth it if you need a quality bright pink in your collection. It is not quite as bright as something like Candy Yum Yum from MAC but is still statement making and very bright. The nicest part about the Lip Tar formula is that it can be repurposed to a matching liquid blush.

In my mind the eternal "ready for spring" beauty shade is MAC's Impassioned. It's the one everyone busts out this time of year and is a wonderfully accessible and classic watermelon pink red shade. I like this best with a very plain face, otherwise I find it hard to wear but often in the warmer months this is the shade I'll reach for in place of Sephora's Strawberry Kissed for a one and done 5 minute face. 

My nude of choice is another Revlon Lip Butter in the shade Pink Lemonade. This and Juicy Papaya were released in the same Spring lip collection and honestly are (imho) the best shades offered in the lineup. It sheers over the lips and tones down your natural lip shade while adding luminosity but doesn't look dead. Magic. Go get this too!

The Revlon Matte Balm contribution is the shade Striking. It is a lovely and easy wearing warm red color and the most red of all my selections. This is an easy and oft rotated formula in my collection and this shade does tend to get a lot of play from me in the warmer months but I think there are actually quite a few shades in this range that lend themselves to this time of year. (Showy and Unapologetic come to mind.)

The last of the Spring selections is the Maybelline Color Sensation Vivd shade in Vivid Rose. This is for my money the most unique and the best shade in the Vivd's range. It is a magenta pink with just a manageable hint of neon color that looks striking but does not over power the face. Additionally it pairs really, really well with a bright wash of shimmery shadow and some liner smudged into the lash line as a really pretty daytime face. 

So that's it for now. I'm sure I will come across plenty of fun new spring lip picks as the season progresses but for now these will get the job done. 

What are you busting out to get through the end of the winter months??

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.