Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Current Concealer Wardrobe


No product has the ability to illicit more excitement in me than concealer.
I've never been much of a full coverage girl when it comes to foundation, hell I've never been much of a foundation girl in general. When it comes to hiding imperfections and evening out my skin tone concealer has always been where it's at for me.
Targeted application is key and finding the right texture is a constant mission in my life.
As such at any given moment my collection has what seems to be an ever growing and changing selection of products.
Today we're taking a tour of what's in the lineup right now. 


Spot Concealing.

When it comes to the face, blemishes, discoloration etc I look for specific things. Namely a slightly fuller coverage product with long wearing ability. The star of the show in my collection is the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage in the shade SC-02. The waxy texture of this is often very celebrated by the pro's and for good reason. It wears all day on the skin and despite it's dryness melds with the skin's texture almost seamlessly. It also has the yellow and peach shade which means getting the warm/cool balance for your skin perfect is a cinch.
Conversely the Maybelline Super Stay 24hr Concealer in the shade Light is a beautiful budget spot concealer. It's much more of a liquid in texture but has solid converge, sets to a matte finish and, wears all day as it claims. (I've never worn it for 24 hours as that is yucky but I can easily get 8-10 from it.) It doesn't have quite the seamless finish of the Laura Mercier or the ability to customize shade but it is a product I have repurchased many many times and do like to have on hand for morning where I need to be extra quick.

Under Eye Concealing.

This role seems to be the ever rotating one in my routine. As someone with hereditary under eye circles this is one area of my routine that sees an ever-changing cast of players. Right now the new Maybelline Master Concealer in the shade Fair is getting the job done. For as thick as it is it doesn't look try under the eyes and, happily for me, is not as full coverage as I was expecting. As you can tell as far as drugstore goes Maybelline is where it's at for me and, for good reason. They typically offer a decent (tiny but workable) shade selection and their formula's are better than any other budget brand I've tried. 

On the Go Concealing

I mentioned this when I first picked it up in the fall but the Perricone MD No Concealer Concealer was kind of disappointing. It didn't have the texture or application I was expecting from the tester in the store (it must have been old a bit dry.) and I could never really get this to work for me as a daily option. It does however come in handy when applied over day worn concealer to pep things up before happy hour. Ultimately though I don't think it's worth it to get it as a touch up concealer when there are so many better items out there for this purpose at a more affordable price but right now it's what I'm using and for this specific purpose it's working well.

All Purpose Concealing

This is sort of like my pinch hitter product. The OCC Skin Conceal in Y1 is a hugely pigmented creamy and relatively long wearing formula that I picked up on Black Friday. If I'm heading to my parents for the weekend and want to pair down my beauty bag I'll throw this in and it gets me by for a couple days. If I am going out at night I'll use this under my eyes for a slightly more full coverage effect on top of a correcter. It isn't something that I reach for everyday but it is a high quality product and if you are looking for something more high coverage for under eyes or a creamier spot concealer this is a fantastic product to check out.

So there you have it. All the ways I use concealer and which formula I prefer for what task.
I mean really it's just a way to justify owning five different ones but I'm ok with that too.
I'm certain this area of my collection will grow before it shrinks again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.