Pages

Friday, February 20, 2015

Capsule Wardrobe| Cheeks

I love a good cheek product.
The funny thing is on really desperate beauty days (ie: I've slept until 8 and need to leave in 20 minutes.) it's one of the first things I omit.

Despite that, the impact blush creates on the face is not lost on me.

So today I thought I would cover my capsule cheek collection and include the blushed, bronzer and highlighter that i think would make the perfect lineup for a basic makeup collection.






The Bronze:
I am in love with The Body Shop Honey Bronzer in Light. I don't use this for contour or anything crazy like that but as a gentle, sheer and, warm all over glow this is perfect. On my NC20-ish skin this applies smoothly and gives the impression of a natural hit of sun, and in the dead of this long winter sun has been very very tricky to come by. 

The Highlight:
There really isn't too much to say with this one. The Balm's Mary-Lou Manizer is really where it's at in terms of versatility and impact. It is a high shine yellow toned beige highlight that works well not only on the cheeks but also on the inner corners of your eye, above the lips, and down the bridge of the nose. Additionally the brush you use will dictate exactly how much shine you get from this. If you are one of the few people left who have yet to take this for a ride I highly encourage you to test it out.

The Blush:
I have two powders and one cream here. That ratio might be different for you if you find cream blush works well for you but in my case it takes me quite a lot of effort to find a cream formula that I like. The one I do get on very very well with is the Kevyn Aucoin Creamy Glow Blush in particular the shade Tansoliel. It is the perfect warm but slightly subdued coral shade that works well on my warm toned skin year round. I do tend to reach for it more in the summer time but I think having a "not too in your face" type of warm blush is universally flattering all year long. 
On the powder front there are two other shades that I think no one should be without. A nice pale pink that goes on the skin like a flush of cold air is always a good look. MAC's Well Dressed, an oldie but a goodie, works well to create a natural looking baby doll flush especially when concentrated across the apples of the cheeks. If you have darker skin a more pigmented cool toned pink (Like Milani's Delicioso Pink.) would work very much the same way as Well Dressed. For a deeper plum shade I think it's hard to compete with NARS Sin. It's a slightly sheeny cool toned brown plum shade that adds both definition as well as a flush. This is actually not a color I reach for too often but when I wear grays, taupes, or purples on the eye this is one of the only blush pairings I consider. 

So these are effectively my blush "skeleton crew." What shades would you guys consider the basics or are you one of those decisive individuals who has one blush you love and sticks with it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.