Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Battle of the Stupid Expensive Basecoats



More than any other beauty product, nail base coats tend to get a lot of loyalty from me. Consequently they are one of the few beauty products I finish regularly. 

That said, every couple of years a new base does the rounds on YouTube  or I feel spendy and shell out $10+ on something that promises to make my sad brittle nails, long, shiny and strong.

The only difference is, now there's two newbies in the manicure bowl (more on that later).



First Up: Nailtiques Formula 2 Plus. This measly little .25 oz bottle (half the size of an OPI) retails for $9.50. If I'm telling the truth I ended up with the "Plus" formula because it was less money than the regular Formula 2. If I had been smart I would have just bought the regular one that everyone talks about because this one did not wow me AT. ALL. No discernible improvement in condition and some terrible staining to boot. At least it won't take me all that long to finish.

The Clear Winner: OPI Nail Envy in the Original Formula. This stuff is seriously as good as everyone says it is. I did get mine at a more professional location for a bit of a discount but, I would gladly shell out the 17$ this normally runs. I wore it alone for about a week (half the recommended amount) and then started layering polish over top and have had minimal breakage across the board. If you do really need some TLC for your nails I would snap this one up in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.