Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Good Grease


Ah the ultimate skincare counter intuition. Oil? On my face? Are you crazy? No, no I am not crazy and as soon as you man up and try it you will never be the same.  Now I realize if you have oily skin the idea of putting more grease on your face will leave you with the squirmy, gross nails on a chalkboard sensation but, if you can move past it to try this JUST ONCE you will see results like you cannot believe.

1. Oil is so much more effective at breaking down makeup products and dirt because these are all trapped in your natural face oils as a result of all day wear. Fats are so much better and breaking themselves down than water alone.

2. They are far more nourishing than traditional soap cleansers. I prefer mine to include an emulsifier (the cleanser goes milky when it meets water) as I like my wash to rinse cleanly, but if you have a drier complexion you can pass on that ingredient. (Sorbeth, and Sorbate are common ingredient components of emulsifiers.)

3. Enhancing your moisturizer with oils is a great way to up your skincare game in the (rapidly approaching) cooler months, as well as customizing your skincare to your skins in the moment needs. (More on this in a minute.)

4. A few drops in the ends of your hair or on dry patches of skin can produce instant comfort and results.

The DHC Cleansing Oil is an oft repurchased fixture in my routine. Olive oil based this is a really lovely and simple (albeit very synthetic) oil cleanser that my skin personally responds well to. It removes all walks of makeup quickly with minimal rubbing or tugging of the skin.

The NUDE Pro-Genius is my go to treatment oil. It has a long list of components but it works wonders for evening out tone and brightening the complexion. If my skin is feeling a bit dehydrated the Tarte Maracuja is a life saver. It is the most moisturizing and simple looking and feeling of all the oils, but it packs a big punch in the hydration department. When I have over done it with my skin (exfoliating, makeup, picking) I reach for the Weleda Wild Rose oil. Rose is insanely calming, redness reducing, and soothing. It will revert almost any irritation over night. Rose Hip oil is a good alternative and likely what I will repurchase after this sample is gone.

The Caudalie Divine Oil is a beautiful multi-purpose product. I much prefer it for my body and hair over my face as it just leaves the nicest dry oil finish on the skin. It sinks in quickly and leaves a lingering musky smell behind. An expensive option, but a lovely treat if you are in the market for pampering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.