Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Three Over the Top Looks I Love


It's no secret I love a dark lip. I especially love them during the day and since we are officially in dark lip season full swing (lies dark lips forever) I thought it would be good to pair some of my favorite dark lip options with my favorite eye shades to wear with them. These are not your typical daytime looks but if you're feeling adventurous this could be a good place to start.

It can be a tricky balance to strike...too much eye too much lip, Maybe you're in my camp and think that there isn't such a thing as too much. (I mean there totally is but I do tend to like a more OTT look.)

Now that my hair is pink I have found that it's harder to get away with so much color but the past few weeks there have been three combinations I have really been loving.


The first combo was a real revelation. I have been loving the Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte in Vibrant Violet since I picked it up last Spring. I has been wearing it simply with some winged liner or sometime just mascara and then this on the lips as a real statement shade. 

I had been looking and trying out different eye colors but it wasn't until I made a Pixi Beauty impulse purchase in the form of one of their Fairy Light Solos that the perfect combo was born. The shade Alluring Apricot (Urban Decay "X" is similar) is a pink/peach with a golden shimmer that contrasts against the cool toned purple in a beautiful and dramatically wearable way.  

For a truly in your face look I like to commit to one tone all over the face and use it for everything. In this case a deep purple-brown bruise toned look is oh so autumnal and surprisingly easy to wear. I love my first and only (so far) Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick purchase in the shade Vampira and I have been pairing it with similarly hued eye looks ever since I picked it up.

MAC's Limited Edition loose pigment in It's Not Easy Having a Good Time is my particular favorite to pair here. It has that red cool base with a flash of a warm red metallic finish but a similar permanent shade that I have also loved with Vampira is Star Violet. Of the three combos this is by far the most in your face but if you are feeling bashful try it on a night out instead of during the day!  

The final combination is probably the one I wear most frequently and a variation on a look I have worn pretty religiously for the last five years or so. I love an antique gold/bronze/khaki shade all over the lid paired with a classic deep brick red. For years my go to was Urban Decay's Smog wit MAC's (long discontinued) Red Pepper. The updated version is Rouge Bunny Rouge's Abysinnian Catbird paired with MAC's Sin. (My Sin is in LE packaging but it is permanent at MAC)

The updated version of this look is slightly greener on the eyes and slightly blue-er based on the lips but the overall effect is more or less the same. 

I hope this gave you guys some ideas on interesting ways to pair a more statement eye with a dark lip for daytime. I think its a great time of year to experiment with more makeup if that's you're thing and if you do decide to test drive a look like this show it to me on Instagram @theunanimousmolly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.