Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Skin MayDay

Skin MD Natural Shielding Lotion.


After hearing many rave reviews about this little drugstore lotion I decided I was going to see what all the fuss was about. Now, I don't have any severe dryness on my body or hands or even on my face for that matter, but after a quick glance at the ingredients I was wondering if this baby might work for another purpose entirely. A light-weight makeup primer?
Now most conventional foundation primers are heavily based in silicones. As you can see from the ingredient list this baby features Dimethicone in a pretty high concentration. (Anything that ends in "one" qualifies.) It also has a beautiful list of other more basic skincare ingredients. (Aloe, Vitamin E, Camomile and Yarrow)
After trying other primers that were basically all silicone and very little else and feeling like I wanted to claw my face off I thought a lighter (watered down in this case) version might suit me better. I had also had some issues with primers breaking me out in the past, even though my skin isn't especially prone to reaction. Sad to say this particular product didn't work out the way I had hoped.
After two weeks of trial and error (mostly error in hindsight) I determined that not only was this not making my makeup last any longer, it was also creating some major congestion in my skin. I think it boils down to too many ingredients competing with the effectiveness of the silicones, and then too much silicone for my skin to handle.
All is not lost though. My skincare illiterate and excema prone brother now has a handy, pocket size lotion for his winter-weary hands.
xoxo
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.