Pages

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

DIY Yourself into a Golden Girl

Remember a couple weeks ago when I mentioned how much I missed making things.

Well I've started to again and it feels SO. GOOD.

I posted this picture on Instagram last week and I thought today I'd walk you through how I made my new Golden Girls-esque circle shroud. 

At least that's what I'm calling it.


The real inspiration behind this project was the fabric. In the process of shopping for something else I came across this beauty and just could not resist picking up a couple of yards.

I already knew I wanted a kimono/shawl/shroud type piece from it so that night when I got home, I was so excited I got right down to business.
I especially love that this has a shiny and metallic texture without being a classic sequin or lame fabric. 

To start I used an existing kimono to decide how long I wanted to make this one. I had some pre-finished edges on my fabric so I opted to use those as the hem to avoid having to do that part on the machine. If you don't have this option you can also just hem the bottom of your shroud.
One I measured the length I went ahead and cut straight across the fabric at that measurement. I got 2 yards of fabric and intended to just half the piece for the width of my kimono. I was looking for dramatically over sized but, if you prefer something a little closer fitting yours need not be as large.
On the right is my long single cut piece of fabric on the left is the remainder of the fabric. You could use the leftovers to add sleeves but in this case I thought it would be too heavy.

At this stage I cut along the folded over portion of the body fabric cutting the piece in half one more time. 

From there I cut 1 of the 2 new body pieces in half vertically from the scalloped edge to what would be the neck. This will be your front opening.
And in the case of this fabric; instead of finishing the opening, I cut along the circle pattern to create a cool little front detail. 


Now the final step is assembly. I layed the larger piece of fabric (back of the kimono) face up and placed the two smaller fabric pieces (kimono front) on top face down making sure to match the scalloped pattern at the bottom so they were relatively even. This way when you assemble the pieces together all the seams will be hidden inside and our hem will be done.

Making sure to leave enough opening at the sides for my arms to fit through I pinned the front and back together at the sides and shoulders.

Finally I assembled and finished the exposed edges of the product on my sewing machine. 
I've made a little diagram below for anyone who's not sure how or where to start.






I hope you guys liked this little show and tell and that you give it a go when your inspiration strikes.
Follow me on Instagram I'd love to see what you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.