Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Storm King Art Center Saturday


So last weekend on something of a whim some of my coworkers and I headed out of Queens and up to New Windsor NY to check out the Storm King Arts Center

Despite having lived within a half hour of the place for more or less my whole life I'd never been so I figured it was finally time for a little art hike.
If you are in the Hudson Valley or are looking for a cool day trip from NYC this would easily be my first recommended stop. 

It doesn't hurt that the drive up is a beaut too.


Be warned it's a bit picture heavy this week.

 Hats off Derric!
 One of the coolest features were the kinetic sculptures that moved in the breeze. From different angles these metal spirals made different shapes and appeared to move in different directions.
 Most of the art is not designed to be touched or interacted with but in the case of this gazebo you were free to sit, touch and, get up close things.
 We even met a little shelled friend. He narrowly escaped death by tram.


 This one was one of my favorites by far. Up close it looks like melted wax and apparently glows in the dark.

 This mirrored fence was another exhibit that kept us intrigued for a long time. Some of the picture opportunities here were to die for too. 


This little guy was just as enthralled by his reflection as we were.
 The views from the park are in many cases just as or more beautiful than the art it features.
 There were even some really cool textured pieces that also featured water as an element.


Even if more modern art isn't your thing (it's not exactly the top of my list truthfully) it's a beautiful park with plenty of interesting pieces to check out. There are way worse ways to spend 15$ and an afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.