Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Warm Weather Dark Lip Obsession

I'm not sure what it is this year. Normally I am SO on board with spring this-summer that but this year it seems the only shades that have graced my lips have been in the blood red and burgundy families.

Admittedly I'm having a bit of a baby goth girl moment as my Instagram can certainly attest to.
I think there is something about a more generous makeup application that feels fun for me right now.

I have mentioned a fair few of these babies before but as they have barely left my lips in nearly a month I think it's high time they got another shout out.


First up...a balm with SPF. Not a bold choice by any means. Protect your lips from the sun kiddos. Making out with Summer sweet-hearts is no fun with cracked and sun burnt lips. Jack Black is a really good one but I'm certain if the sun protection is all your after you can get something on more drugstore friendly budget.

For something that is malleable and can be easily sheered out the Urban Decay Revolution shade Shame is your man. It's almost grape looking in the tube but inherently applies to  a sheer berry red shade on initail application. You can build it to almost the level you see in the tube but the transparency factor makes this ideal if you aren't interested in committing to the look all day or night long.

My other options are all mattes...I've said it before and I'll say it again...matte lips are my personal favorites for a bold lip. Despite having a reputation for dryness many more recent formulas are incredibly comfortable to wear and are much more low maintenance than their creamier cousins.

The one shade that is a total home run for me is...of course...the only one that's discontinued. MAC's Red Pepper is a formerly pro-only color that is no longer but a pretty close cousin is Diva. It's slightly more blue but it will give you that matte brick kind of color which is my personal favorite way to do dark red. 

Followed closely by the Maybelline Creamy Matte Lipstick in the shade Divine Wine. This is a stunning dark blue based red shade that I find just as wearable and flattering as it's more brown-toned cousin. It's a cheap and cheerful option in a stellar formula with a large (and expanding) shade range. Get yourself one.

Finally for something a little more purple I've been opting for the Bite Beauty Matte Cream Lip Crayon in Aubergine. I got mine as a 12$ special aeound Christmas tine but this is a shade that is available in the regular line. This matte formula is a little more forgiving due, in part, to it's all natural, food grade content but, is really lovely nonetheless. It starts off as more of a satin matte and dries down to a full matte after about an hour. If you were ever looking for a matte version of MAC's Rebel...this is your boy.

Have you guys been loving anything a little less than seasonal lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.