Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Ed Note:The Negative Space Manicure

It's pretty rare these days for me to want to experiment with nail art. Once upon a time I luuurved it. These days though I just don't have the time I'd like to for it so when something comes along, like the studs from last month, I get excited to play with it.

Now this is a far from perfect attempt but I am looking forward to giving this one another go and trying out some new shapes.


For this manicure I used a sheer Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure color in the shade Arm Candy. For my money this is one of the more perfect sheer pink shades at the drugstore. It's semi sheer in two coats but has a brightening quality that masks any staining, yellowing or, discoloration which my nails are prone to because they don't often see the light of day. 

On top of that I reached for my black striping polish which I got in a kit from Kiss a million years ago but the Stripe Rite brand they sell at Sally's is, in my experience, a much better product. You could even use acrylic paint and a striping brush and you would have a nice opaque color. As you can see here there is some streaking and bald patches in the sunlight but in indoor lighting they look completely opaque. I just did some basic triangle shapes but you could play with any design you like.

I really like how this is a somewhat more understated kind of nail art and is neutral enough to not immediately jump out at you. I think next time I may just stick to something a little more stripe based...or even try some nail foil bits over a sheer base.

Have you guys tried any fun new nail things lately?


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.