Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Catrice: First Impressions

 This is going to be an extraordinarily well timed post, especially for me.

While I was in Dublin with my family in the first few days of July I picked up a small selection of Catrice products because at the time they were only available across Europe. Since then (like in the last 2 weeks) they became available on the the Ulta website and in a few exclusive stores.

Let me tell you if you are a fan of good beauty on a budget this is GREAT news for you.



 Easily the most impressive portions of the line (for me anyway) are the powder products. The eyeshadows, both the classic (currently not at Ulta) and Liquid Metal formulas, are soft and pigmented and smooth out to a stunning finish on the skin. They seem to have a substantial binding agent in them because the powder clings easily to itself but doesn't create any problems when the time comes to blend it out.

The face powder in the All Matt Plus (not yet available in the US) range is the product I have used the most of since I made the purchase and is a really lovely drugstore setting powder. It provides a slight hint of additional coverage, a smooth matte (but not flat or dry) finish to the skin that lasted well without touchups in moderate to cool temperatures for around five hours over my BB Cream. (this one form Dr. Jart) I can't say how well this will work in the NYC Summer heat now that I'm back but it hasn't disappointed yet. 

The one I haven't really tried yet is the Sun Glow Bronzer (also not available in the US yet.)which is a soft warm honey-like bronzer shade in a similar lovely matte finish to the All Matt powder.

As far as the lips go I picked up two things. The Beautifying Lip Smoother, an obvious Clarins Lip Perfector riff but a lovely mindless handbag addition that you really can't beat for $4.99. I have similar feelings about the Tinted Lip Glow which seems to be a similar product to the It Cosmetics Je'ne sais quoi and warms to a bright mid toned pink on the lips. 

The gloss is actually more hydrating and for my money more versatile so if your torn between the two I say go for the gloss over the balm. 

 The final two bits in my little haul are the  Lashes to Kill Mascara in Ultra Black which seems to be a pretty classic brush but very wet formula. Along with a line, the Multi-Style Matte Liner pen (not pictured) which is a flat, slim felt tip that allows for a variety of lines and shapes on the eye. My gut tells me like others that have come before it the gimmicky shape of this tip could impede preciseness but as I have yet to properly test drive either of these I can't say yet. 

For a brand that is on target price wise with the likes of Maybelline and NYX at the drugstore there is a wide variety of products to choose from and most of them meet or exceed the current market standard for products at this price. Not to mention I think the look of the brand overall is much cleaner and more expensive looking (in some cases) than it's other budget competitors. 

Have you guys investigated any of the newly available product yet?
If you have access to Catrice already what product would you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A recent Fashion Design graduate with a longstanding love of fashion, beauty, and pop culture. A collection of What I wore, How I wore it, Where I got it, and Why I love it.